40 Days to Jerusalem
The New Exodus Begins Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Him to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem‚Ä¶ (Luke 9:51)
Jesus had a divine appointment in Jerusalem, and the time was drawing nigh. Luke 9:51 indicates to us that Jesus resolutely set His sights on the path of obedience. He knew full well that completing this journey to Jerusalem meant He would be, ‚Äúbetrayed into the hands of men‚Äù(Luke 9:44). And yet, the Lord Jesus was determined to complete His mission which was nothing less than freeing humanity from bondage to sin, death and hell. As we will see, Jesus was going to Jerusalem to lead a NEW EXODUS. As of today, we are 40 days from Holy Week and our annual remembrance of the entry of Jesus into Jerusalem. During these intervening days, I ask you to steadfastly set your face to go to Jerusalem. We will do so by studying truths about Jesus found in the pages of the Scriptures ‚Äì both Old and New Testaments. Our mission is to draw closer to the Lord through meditating on the Word of God, praying intensely and intentionally, and opening our hearts and minds to our travelling companion, the Holy Spirit. Along this path, the Spirit will help us, ‚Äúlay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us,‚Äùso that we may, ‚Äúrun with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross‚Ä¶(Heb. 12:1-2).
During these days we will, ‚Äúlook to Jesus,‚Äù and learn that:
- Jesus is the New Moses prophesied in the Old Testament
- Jesus is the One who leads a New Exodus from Jerusalem.
- Jesus is the One who leads us from death to life
- Jesus is the One who leads us through the wilderness of life
- Jesus is the One who offers us provisions for the journey
- Jesus is the One who completes or ‚Äúfinishes‚Äù the Passover
- Jesus is the One who ushers in the New Covenant in His blood
Prayer for Today (Make this prayer your own as the Spirit leads):
- Offer praise and thanks to God for His holiness and greatness.
- Give thanks for God‚Äôs gracious offer of salvation through His Son.
- Ask God to bless you as you study His Word during these 40 days.
- Ask the Spirit to reveal any unconfessed sin.
- Ask the Spirit to assist you as you repent and confess those sins.
- Read 1 John 1:9 and give thanks for God‚Äôs cleansing power.
‚ÄúIf we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.‚Äù (1 John 1:9) And so it begins...